[oletrucks] TF Rear End Rebuild Parts

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] TF Rear End Rebuild Parts
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:42:06 -0500
Just got my '56 Chevy 1/2 ton back on the road after 3 months of work.
After driving it for several miles at highway speed (40-60 MPH), I've
noticed the driver's side rear brake drum (repainted during my earlier work)
has most the paint burnt-off and the drum/wheel is hot enough to fry eggs on
after a short trip.  I loosened the brake adjusters on the drum but it still
gets hot after a short drive.  My truck has the stock rear end with either
3.90 or 4.11 ratio.

I'm going to pull both rear wheels and drums tomorrow and I'm hoping the
problem is the brakes.  But if it is not, does anyone know how difficult it
might be to buy new rear axle bearings and where I might get a set?
Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL