[oletrucks] 42 pickup distributor installation

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 42 pickup distributor installation
From: Christopher Simmonds <simmonds1970@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:03:47 -0800 (PST)
Hello everyone.  I bought a 42 chevy 3/4 ton pickup
with a complete engine minus the distributor.  The
trouble is, I am having a hard time determining the
original position of the distributor.  I removed the
number one spark plug and cranked the engine until I
feld compression then lined up pointer on flywheel.
Now I just need to know the position of the
distributor.  If I were to draw a straight line off
the number one wire on the the dist cap, where should
it be pointing.  I have tried a couple of positions
and can not get it to fire so far.
   Also the starter is missing the reversing switch
that reverses the direction of current through the
distributor.  What I did was take the power straight
from the ignition switch to the coil positive, then
from coil negative to distributor, then from
distributor to ground.  I seem to be getting a fine
spark.  Is this an okay way to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Chris Simmonds
http://sports.yahoo.com/