[oletrucks] Stuck '38 Transmission

Subject: [oletrucks] Stuck '38 Transmission
From: theordore house <thouse@raleys.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 00:47:23 -0800
Hello All,
  Please bear with me I am learning....I have a '38 1/2 Chevrolet pickup
that apparently has the original 216 and a 3 speed transmisson that
shifts on the floor.  The transmission has a lockout lever that u pull
up when shifting into reverse.  I have not yet drove the pickup so i do
not know the shift pattern...First a couple of questions on the history.

1.)Is this a  transmission that chevy came out with for 38 trucks?
2.)For what years waas the transmission made?
3.) Anyone know the shift pattern?
   Secondly, the transmisson is stuck in a forward gear (I am thinking
2nd) I took the top plate off and there is 3 forks (2 in the middle, and
one towards passengers side).  There are 3 rods that these forks slide
along. The gearsift has a piece of metal that goes behind the 2 middle
forks which i am thinking might be the cause. Should It be in the middle
of those forks?  Should those forks move freely? I wish i could draw a
picture. Any help would be appreciated.  I live in the Sacramento
area....

thanks in advance,
Ted