Re: [oletrucks] Transmissions (2): Overdrive?

To: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Transmissions (2): Overdrive?
From: The Perfesser <driver@49chevy.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:51:33 -0600
At 02:39 PM 12/7/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Maybe we aren't talking about the same tranny.  The one I have needs no
>mods.; it is the original type 4sp that was available on 1/2 ton ADs.  The
>shifter comes right out of the top of the case with no linkage on the
>outside of the tranny.  The back end is outfitted for the closed driveshaft.
>I don't know if the box is the Saginaw or Muncie that is talked about on the
>list, but casting numbers & physical description could probably confirm.

I''ll cc: the list with this reply so that somebody can correct me if I'm
wrong.... I belive the eary models, the stock trannies in the AD trucks,
were made in "Muncie" and the later models, not sure of the dates, were
made in "Saginaw."

You're right, the approach I've been considering is not the same one you're
describing.  Patrick's recommends upgrading to the "Saginaw" transmission
because the gear ratios or closer, or the "drop" between gears isn't as
severe; but the Saginaw trans requires a modification, a "short shaft" that
links up with the closed shaft on the earlier AD models.  I think that IF
I'm going to go the 4-speed in the floor route, I'd rather go the Saginaw
route; but at this writing, I'm still leaning toward getting what I've GOT
to work.  So, hang on to that transmission for now, if I decide that's what
I'm looking for, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've still got it.

Thanks,

--PS

Paul Schatzkin, aka The Perfesser
http://www.theperfesser.com