[oletrucks] AD bed

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] AD bed
From: "Jim Nordwall" <jnord@fgi.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:04:33 -0500
My 1950 3100 was missing the bed when I got it.  After looking around for a
decent one, with no luck, I priced the parts and pieces to purchase enough
to make a new one. OUCH!!  My son is a sheetmetal worker (tinbanger). He
says if i get him the dimensions, he can make the sides, the front panel,
and the cross sills. He thinks he can make the stake pockets too.  A friend
told me that he ordered one cross sill, when he got it, it looked like a
piece of unistrut. I can get unistrut free.  The sheet metal ( 4' x 10' 18
gauge) will cost $40.00. If I weld 1 1/2 tailpipe to the bed sides, it looks
close enough to original that only diehard AD fans can tell it is not
original. I have the demensions for cutting and bending the side panels, I
can fake the front panel.
My questions:
Where do the four cross sills go and how are they attached to the side
panels?
Does the wood floor sit directly on the cross sills?
Are any of the bolts that go through the bed strips fastened to the cross
sills?
Any help will be appreciated.

Jim Nordwall
1950 3100