[oletrucks] off topic..."racing" jack

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, napco4x4@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] off topic..."racing" jack
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 8 Aug 2001 11:49:45 -0700
Hey guys,

I know that this one isn't old trucks, but this may still be the right crew to
ask.

Anyone know where I can find a light weight and relatively cheap hydraulic jack
to use for swapping tires on my 86 Corvette for Solo2 (autocross)?  I swap from
street tires to racing tires once I get to the track and then of course have to
put them back to go home.  I'm not trailering anything at this point and the 86
pickup goes along as a support vehicle with all the stuff.

The one I have now has the lift necessary (not sure on the hard numbers here
but 18-in would be ok for sure) to jack the car up so that I can get both
wheels at once (ie, lift once each side instead of lifting once each wheel) but
it's too heavy for me to lift in/out of my pickup (support vehicle) since I
have back problems.

I found a "racing" jack advertised, first in Griot's and then found the source
vendor.  These are aluminum and light but cost about $450-$650.  For that money
I could buy a little trailer to pull behind the vette but would still have to
lug the jack around.  I guess with the twins on the way, I'm trying to conserve
dollars.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark Noakes