Re: [oletrucks] Difficulty with rear oil seals

To: "Mike the Langman" <langman10@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Difficulty with rear oil seals
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:36:19 -0500
Use some emery cloth to ensure you did not gouge the edge where the seal
first goes in or the area where it will be seated.  Lightly use the emery
cloth,  the original seals were put in using permatex or shellac so there
will be some hard pieces of the permatex still attached to the area that the
seal will seat.  Do not sand it so you cause an indentation, just make sure
it is smooth, check it with your finger, so when you do put the seal in it
will seat and go in evenly.  The old bearing or race will work perfect when
seating the seals or new races as they are the perfect size.  My father
showed me this trick back in the 60's and used it alot with his race cars in
the 50's and 60's, he never had a seal become damaged.  He used house paint
around the edge with a large Qtip instead of the shellac or Permatex, he
never had a leak that I can remember.

Jon 50 3104
Chicago burbs