Re: [oletrucks] Oops, sorry about the Ebay mention, but it WAS

To: bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oops, sorry about the Ebay mention, but it WAS
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:27:33 -0800 (PST)
Bill Broadway says:

> why no eBay?

This was long discussed/argued about, with the group basically being in a
couple of camps:

1)  oletrucksters actively searching the auction pages looking for that
great deal for themselves, and cherishing their personal finds not wanting
someone else to get in and drive the price up.

2)  oletrucksters occasionally browsing the auction pages and stumbling
across something they thought was "interesting" but didn't have an interest
in.

3)  oletrucksters not interested in the auctions due to time or style of
truck restoration.

Of these three camps, there were also a couple of sides, for lack of any
better description, lets call them those who "get it" and those who don't.

Those who don't get it, are like Bill they don't see the impact of
forwarding ebay ads.

The "get it side understands this:  Ebay is a site whose ultimate goal is
to make money off auctions that people put on using their services.  They
get more money if items sell for higher prices.  It is in their best
interest if more people see each auction item and subsequently bid on it,
thus they have easy to use tools to massively forward the auctions.

In addition to ebay, many commercial outfits use ebay as their means of
marketing/warehousing/showroom.

Most of the time, the auctions that might be forwarded are not being placed
by members of this list.  The seller has not contributed to this community,
and may not even know about it's existence.

There are no commercial posts allowed on this list, even for the members
who are truck related businesses.  I don't do the work I do to keep it
going as a private marketing resource.  There is really no difference in
forwarding an ebay ad than if you were to forward say the latest email
flyer from Harbor Freight.

Why should they (ebay, the unknown seller, etc) benefit from our efforts?

In short, since I fall in the camp of those who get it, and as someone who
only searches auctions for something I specifically need, and I run the
list, I made a ruling:

No posting of auction site items, unless you are the seller and it is your
stuff.  (ie if you decide to run an ebay based business to sell stuff, you
can't send information about the auctions here)

Long answer to short question, but now that it's in the archives, someone
else can point quizzlers there in the future.
--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com