RE: [oletrucks] Fw: compressing springs

To: "'Jack Halton'" <safesix@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Fw: compressing springs
From: Terry Stellman <STELLMAN@noex.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:50:01 -0600
I have the same subframe and I changed springs twice so I can sympathize
with the problem.  I used 5/8"-11 all-thread rod down the center of the
spring (where the shock absorber would normally be located).  On the bottom,
below the A-arm, I ran the rod through a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" thick steel
plate that was rectangular in shape and about 3" by 6" in size.  I just put
enough spacers on the rod at the top so that a nut would clear the upper
A-arm.  I tightened the nut at the top to compress the spring but I also
"helped" it along with a floor jack underneath.  Hope this helps.

Terry Stellman
1949 3600
Missouri City, Texas