[oletrucks] Oil Pump

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Oil Pump
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:43:45 -0600 (CST)
235 owners Help!
I got my newly rebuilt 235 installed in my '49 Chevy pickup.  As
everyone has suggested I tried to prime the engine with oil by putting a
screwdriver in an electric drill and turning the oil pump thru the
distributor drive.  After a couple of seconds I had a major leak at the
oil pressure gauge sending unit outlet in the block. I thought great I
know I have a good pump and pressure.  I tightened the fitting and no
more oil leak.  But the problem is that I never got oil up to the rocker
arms or any oil showing in the valve cover area.
So do any of you know how long I should have to run the drill before I
should see oil coming up to the rocker arms?  Is there any way to see if
the oil line is plugged or?  What other thing can I do or should I do
before starting the engine for the first time?

Thanks again for any help.
Tom

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.