Re: [oletrucks] 55 248 gmc

To: "jls" <jls@seavcom.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 248 gmc
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:29:35 -0400
The 248 engine was standard in the small GMC trucks from about 1954 to 1957
or so when it was superceded by the 270. It is a full pressure engine with
precision insert bearings on both rods and mains. A strong engine tuned for
low-end torque, good for maybe 110 hp in stock form. Max power was rated at
3200 RPM. Not cheap to rebuild.  Internals are all different from the Chev
235, but some parts like water pump, fuel pump, cam bearings etc., are
interchangeable.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL