RE: [oletrucks] Tranny for 235 in '46 2-ton

To: <NTemple46@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Tranny for 235 in '46 2-ton
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 06:11:59 -0400
Neil,

I've often wondered how a 'car' transmission would work in a big truck.
Probably wouldn't last long as what the factory put in was very heavy and
doubt if they would spend more than necessary on anything. The average
engine power output on a big truck is much higher than on a car. Engine peak
torque wouldn't be higher, but the constant power loading would cause the
Saginaw to wear very quickly, IMHO.

I have a 70 model two ton Chevy. It had an all-synchro 4 speed in it which I
pulled out in favor of a 5 speed. The four speed is available if you want
it. (Where are you?) Would it fit? I think the bell housing is the same for
it as for older trucks.

The five speed I got has a very close 4th and 5th for highway cruising.
Running with a 2 speed rear end your shift sequence is 1st low (low rear),
1st high, 2nd low, 2nd high (start in 2nd if no load), 3rd low, 3rd high,
4th low, 5th low, 4th high, 5th high. Note the 4th and 5th difference. The
transmission is closer ratio than the 2 speed rear end. Makes it nice to get
a few extra RPM at cruise speed by shifting from 5th high to 4th high and
not have to mess with the 2 speed rear end.

I've purchased a 2 speed Brownie to put in for highway cruising. Running
empty now in 5th high still gives about 4000 RPM at 70 MPH. The Brownie
should cut that down to about 3300. The current engine is a 350 but there is
a 427 in the shed that will go in when the Brownie does. Don't want to see
that high constant RPM on the big block. (Can you say 'wear it out'?)

Do you know where I can find a PTO for either the GM 5 speed or the 2 speed
Brownie? I'm using an electric powered hydraulic system for the bed and an
electric winch. Would like to change to a transmission powered winch if I
can find one.

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com