[oletrucks] now straight axles

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] now straight axles
From: "Armijo, Manuel L" <manuel.l.armijo@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:30:52 -0700
Now there's a topic for me,  as I've decided to run with the straight axle
with a disc conversion.  I had a '58 apache all stock and everyday driver
and had no problems on the freeway, or in the city.  I didn't even KNOW that
there was this thing called bumpsteer until somebody mentioned it to me!  My
"63 c10 longbed however, had a really "mooshy" suspension, with coils all
around.  That's why I prefer the straight axle and rear leaf setup. Soooo,
I'm going to pay lots of attention to this thread.

I might just pull the rear springs (as well as the donor rear end that
turned out to be too narrow) off this weekend and see what I can do with
them. The mounts on the frame seem kinda worn.  Are the mounts supposed to
be just as wide as the leaf?   It looks like the shackles have about a half
inch of play, and I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I need to change or
repair the mounts.  I can't really get this into words right, let me try
again.  The shackles are wider than the springs.  It seems odd.  Just me?  I
hope so.
Manny.