[oletrucks] Original straight axle with a SBC

Subject: [oletrucks] Original straight axle with a SBC
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:44:03 -0600
Hi list,

I will shortly be installing a set of disk brakes on the original
straight axle along with a duel master cylinder in my '51 GMC 1/2 ton.
I also have a line on a nice 305 SBC/350TH that I would like to swap in.
Does anyone out there have some experience with swapping in the small
block Chev while still retaining the original straight axle?  The first
problem I see is interference between the steering box and the headers.

Any ideas on how and where you relocate the steering box to clear the
headers?  Is there an alternate steering box which can be used?  Is
there a motor mount/ trans mount kit to accomplish this swap.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Gordon