[oletrucks] new guy straight axle

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] new guy straight axle
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:03:22 -0700
Alfie--

I would go ahead and ask "what should I do?" because you'll get answers
from guys who have done it and been either happy or disappointed.
Either way, you'll learn something.

I too have been driving 59s with straight axles for a long time (over 20
years). The drum brakes work ok, if you keep them maintained.  You can
put the self adjusting hardware from a newer (60s) vintage truck on the
53 backing plates, and you can also use the 53-54 car front hubs/drums
to keep the 5 lug pattern with the stock drum brakes.  You can add an
aftermarket dual master cylinder adapter, with a dual drum master
cylinder (as used on most cars/trucks in the late 60s, before disks were
standard equipment).  You'd want to inspect/replace the spring bushings
and shackles, king pins, tie rod ends, drag link, and rebuild the
steering gearbox.  The ride will still be choppy, and it'll take a bit
of pedal effort and a bit more distance, but you should be able to drive
safely if you're reasonably careful.  I have yet to run into anyone in
my 59 after 20+ years and 130k+ miles with big block power, and stock
susp/brakes.  You can also adapt disk brakes to the stock front axle,
but it costs more than using drums.

If you go to an independent front end, I'd recommend the Mustang II
suspension, either bolt or weld in (weld in would be better if you
can).  It's strong enough for regular "car type" use, but you'll want to
add power steering and bigger brakes.  The Camaro, Chevelle, Monte
Carlo, and Volare front suspensions are a bit too wide for the AD
(47-55) trucks, in my opinion. They'll fit, but the wheels won't tuck
into the fenders like the Mustang suspension.

I'd not waste a perfectly good TH400 behind a measly 327...go with a
TH350 or a 700R4, you'll save some weight and gas mileage.  Save the
400s for the big block guys.  My selfishness is showing  :)

Oh, and welcome to the list!

Jim F
59s in AZ