Re: [oletrucks] 59 rearend

To: "J Forbes" <jforbes@primenet.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 59 rearend
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@gorilla.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:01:58 -0500
I am using a '77 Camaro POSI rear. It went in easily and fits in the
stock location. The difference in width is small. I cut off the '77
mounts and welded on some caps from a trailer supply shop. I had
to allow for the non-square frame by pinching in the caps a bit. I
should have moved the axle back about 1 1/2" 'cause in the stock
location the axle/wheels look like they are in too far forward.

Anyway the later 8.5", 10 bolt, Camaro/Firebird axle works well
and is fair strong. I'm putting about 385-400hp through mine. I
have put in an after market "pumpkin" from Strange Engineering
which allowed a 3.42 ratio. The 12 bolt units, which are harder to
find, are said to be stronger but mine is holding up just fine.

Measure, measure, measure - weld. Make absolutely sure the
axle is straight or you will have steering and braking problems.

Lonnie