[oletrucks] Finding what I really need in an oletruck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Finding what I really need in an oletruck
From: Robert Horvick <rhorvick@GreatPlains.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:06:51 -0600
The oletruck fund is starting to finally pan out to something - though I
still have yet to find the truck-of-my-dream.  I came close yesterday -
driving down a local street I saw either a 52 or 53 (I'm still just learning
how to tell them apart - but it had vent windows [51-?], split windshield
[51-53 - weren't they replaced in 54?], and push button door handles
[52-53]) ... I saw the owner through a window (looked like he was washing
dishes - so perhaps he wouldn't mind being interrupted :)].  I knocked and
we talked for a while.

Turns out to be a great truck - he bought it running (216, original all over
except the previous owner had done some innovative farmer-style body work to
meet some of his needs around the field) for $500 ... a great deal.  I was,
needless to say, jealous.

As we went on he mentioned that for his particular model (this is the 52
3100 3/4 ton) he couldn't get a rear-end gears (without dropping in a Ford
rear-end) for his truck with a friendly enough ratio to do highway cruising
[60-70MPH].  The goal for me with this first truck project would be to
satisfy the following criteria:

- Daily Driver on a 25 mile one-way commute [so I need highway speed driving
- or the ability to attain that without major surgery].
- Ease of maintenance.  From what I've seen/read and experienced the
Stovebolt 6 is ideal for what I'm looking for here.
- Availability of parts ... if I can't get it from NAPA I'm looking at a
long wait.  There isn't much for auto-recycling yards up here [Fargo, ND]
and what is there is new - it has to be ... nothing survives long with our
salted roads.
- Driving pleasure

>From what I understand (from reading, listening and asking) I've narrowed my
search down to an AD 3100 - but have yet to drill down further.  Perhaps
some of you can help.

Is the 3/4 ton really out of the picture for highway speed driving?
Is there a practical difference between the 216 and 235 that makes one a
better option for a relatively green backyard-"mechanic"?
Are there years I should be avoiding or seeking out?
Should I be looking at the GMC's as well or will Chevy's have more abundant
part availability?
How do I tell a 52 and 53 apart (not really related but bugging me! :)
What else???

I realize I'm asking broad open-ended questions - but I think they are ones
that many people probably have firm opinions about.  The more I listen and
learn the more I realize I don't know - now that the moment of truth (or
purchase) is drawing closer - I don't want to impulsively buy a certain year
or model and then find out later that it is the bum of the lot.

My goal isn't collectability or showing the truck.  It isn't to have the
coolest/fastest/best looking/latest/greatest/most-original/[fill in your
category here] truck ... I just want to have my own oletruck.  My first
oletruck.  The truck that all future ones will be measured against.  The
truck I drive my kids to school in and carry the Christmas tree home in.

And if someone else thinks it looks cool - even better.

So what do I need to know before I shoot myself in the foot?

Thanks,

Robert Horvick
Global Development Build Coordinator
Great Plains Software, Fargo ND