[oletrucks] on the road again (well, almost)

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] on the road again (well, almost)
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:05:45 -0700
When it rains it pours...

I got my new kingpins in, and decided not to do the front brakes, as
they still look pretty good.  I did want to repack the front wheel
bearings, as it's been about 8000 miles, which is a lot of miles for
ball bearings.  One of the outer bearings was shot, so I put in a new
one, and got the truck back on the road.  On the test drive, I noticed a
squeaking noise from up front, so I stopped and opened the hood and
listened...sounded like it came from the drivers side valve cover.  I
went back home, pulled off the valve cover, and found that one rocker
arm was completely dry, and about half of the rockers on that side were
almost dry.  I had just put on some old used pushrods and rockers when I
put the engine together, since I don't expect this engine to last too
long (with the condition of the cylinder bores and pistons).  After
swapping some other used rockers on, I got the dry ones to oil...so I
guess I ought to go ahead and cough up some $$$ for a set of new
rockers...or find a better used set.  Oh, well!

Jim