Re: [oletrucks] Fw: Valve Cover slits

To: glperry@fwi.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fw: Valve Cover slits
From: BDober@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:24:18 EST
For what its worth, I had a similar puddle of oil after driving on my 54
(with same slits). My real problem after just pulling the head (noticed lower
average compression on #2/3) was 4 of 6 exhaust valves and a couple of
intakes with worn giudes. Also head gasket had gotten mushy in the same areas
as #2/3. Long story short, since replacing all gaskets and having head
redone, not a drop of oil. Also highly reccomend changing out all stock bolts
for hex heads so you can get a more balanced torque across the gaskets, also
used small bead of gasket sealant whereever possible. If yours is still
original, may want to check your rear motor mounts. With all the previous oil
coming our, the mounts were like jelly donuts waiting to squish, absorbed too
much oil over time.