[oletrucks] 270 crank saga continues...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 270 crank saga continues...
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:37:42 EST
Hey everyone,

Well, I called a few local core shops and one actually had a 4 bolt 270
crankshaft, but it was same condition as the one I've already got. Lots of
the later 6 bolt 270 cranks are still around. I came across 3 locally while
searching yesterday. I asked each core shop I called if they could think of
anyplace else that might have one. They each rattled off a list of several
crank grinding shops I should talk to. So I called 8 or 9 crank shops and
none of them had one. BUT, I talked with these crank shops about my crank
and, I know they're trying to make a buck, but they were actually pretty
enthusiastic about fixing the crank I have. Someone from this list suggested
I look into welding or spraying metal on the crank, but everyone I talked to
said they won't do that with automotive cranks. Don't know why. They actually
said that pits from corrosion on the journals won't effect anything as long
as they are smooth. The crank's biggest problem is the corrosion on the rear
seal surface. This can't be turned down because then it wouldn't seal, but,
someone on this list actually suggested chroming the surface and grinding
back down to original dimension. A couple of the crank shops actually
confirmed they'd heard of doing this, they don't do it, but they've heard of
it.

As it turns out, I talked with my dad about this and he just sent out a
coupla worn machinery shafts to be built up with hard chrome where he works.
I might be able to use his companies account to get the chroming done.

I also want my crank nitrided. My machine shop tells me it's overkill, but I
have some experience trying to locate a 270 crank and it's not fun. I'd
rather pay the extra $50 for nitriding now with the hopes of increasing the
odds of my crank coming out alive if my turbo 270 grenades a rod or something.

Sooooo... I'm gonna bring my crank down to one of these crank shops and have
them look at it. If it's good I'll be grinding, chroming and nitriding.

Thanks for all the responses to my crank search. I guess I might not need
another one after all.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons
48 GMC 3/4 ton