Re: [oletrucks] Still need help on the shocks

To: dkrehbiel@kscable.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Still need help on the shocks
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:26:32 EST
> looking at the lower REAR shock mount and
>  tell me if its forward of the axle, and if its pointed up or down.

 I finally got out to my back  lot to look at rear shocks, 1950-54 half tons.
 I looked at 16 trucks.  All lower brackets were mounted on the front U bolt.
9 were pointing up and 7 pointing down.  None of these trucks is restored,
and I don't know which way is "correct".  I think with a larger sample we
would get a 50-50 mix, and probably the factory did not care.  If one
direction was important there would be directions in shop manual.  Since
there are no specifics in manual, it doesn't matter.  My conclusion.  I have
found that the top bracket does not point the shock exactly at the bottom
bracket, but the rubber top cushion will have enough flex to cover this.
Bob ADler