[oletrucks] Re:Brake bleeding and brake shoes adjustment.

To: "Hollis Troop12" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re:Brake bleeding and brake shoes adjustment.
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:34:25 -0800
Let me see how I can start answering your questions.

Low Pedal:

The low pedal can be that all the shoes are not adjusted properly "close to
the drums" Therefore the pedal has to travel further pushing more fluid into
the wheel cylinders to bring the shoes into contact with the drums.  I'd
check all the drums again to be sure that when you rotate the wheel each
shoe is lightly contacting the drum.  This will raise your pedal height.

Brake Drag:

Brake manufactures make brake shoe linings of different thickness to
compensate for turned drums and you just may have a set that's thicker than
the standard thickness?

I'd have all the drums turned just to make sure there all perfectly round.
They sell an inexpensive brake shoe adjusting tool at local auto part stores
to help set the proper clearance.

You also need to pay close attention to the wear tabs on the backing plates
"where the brake shoes contact" for wear groves.  If the tabs have groves,
they can keep the shoes from operating properly i.e.., dragging or not
applying correctly!  I just weld up the groves and grind the surface flat
again.  You then need to apply some White Grease to the wear points on the
backing plates and the adjuster when you install the shoes.

Decreasing Pedal Height:

>From your description of the decreasing pedal height, you have an internal
leak in the master cylinder that is allowing the fluid to leak past the cup
and back into the reservoir.  I've had this problem on more than one
occasion and had to put a rebuild kit in the master cylinder.

A quick check for this would be to pump the pedal up 8-10 times and hold the
pedal down.  If the pedal slowly continues to go down you have an internal
leak in the master cylinder.

I'd replace or rebuild the master cylinder first, bleed the brakes again and
have the drums turned down.  Then I'd buy the brake adjusting tool to
properly set the brake shoe clearance.
Joe
http://chevy1.freeservers.com/
http://jeepster.freeservers.com/