[oletrucks] 454 problems

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 454 problems
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:55:53 -0700
Dustin--

Sorry to hear about your troubles!  Not fun...

Because of my experience with big blocks, I always replace the cam (and
lifters) when I get one apart far enough to do it...as the cam is
usually worn out.  I don't believe the story about the
lifters...actually, I don't really understand what he's saying...but the
lifters are designed to work properly as long as they are adjusted
anywhere close.  As long as there is no slack, and the valves will
closed when they should, then the lifters will work properly.  This
gives a usuable range of adjustment of about 1/8".

The cam will have worn lobes long before the lifters will quit working
properly.  Lifters these days just don't quit working suddenly.  Have
him check the cam lift at each lifter, and see if all lobes are within
spec...my guess is that you'll have a few (at least) that are not moving
as much as they should.

If the cam does check ok, then look for bad valve springs, which will
give similar symptoms to a bad cam.

I don't know who should get the blame, but I think it is the mechanic's
responsibility to make sure he finds what all the problems are BEFORE he
does too much work on the vehicle.  It's just good practice to check for
all possible problems at the beginning of a job.

Good luck...
Jim