Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection

To: kvdurand@mail.esc4.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:18:48 EST
kvdurand@mail.esc4.com writes:

> Another option is a complete DIY job. A programmable computer costs about
>  $800-$1000. New injectors run at least $400. Add a 4 barrel single plane
>  manifold, $100. Buy a throttle body, $400, or use a mechanical secondary
>  carb. Fabricate, hack, slash, weld, plug in your laptop computer, and
you'll
>  wish you had bought the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is the only sequential
>  system in the price range. However, I'm stubborn, and if I decide to do
fuel
>  injection, I'll probably try to save a buck. It should be possible to plug
>  the PROM into an emulator, and use a laptop to adjust the fuel & spark
>  curves while driving. I have no idea which emulator works or how much it
>  costs. The computer is quite simple, really. It stores fuel curves in a 16
>  by 16 matrix. One axis is RPM, the other is load. It rounds the inputs to
>  the nearest spot on the matrix. It then adds or subtracts a percentage of
>  fuel based on coolant temp, oxygen sensor reading, and some others that I
>  can't remember.
>  The computer has the ability to learn new curves, up to a point. It reads
>  the oxygen sensor and adjusts accordingly. If, however the correction is
too
>  much, it blames the sensor, sets a trouble code, and limps home.
>  Having a company burn a custom PROM costs about $200-$300, pretty cheap in
>  the grand scheme of things.

  That's what get's expensive as well, burning and reburning EPROMs.  Accel's
DFI, FelPro, Haltech, are all in the $700-$900 range, but some of the cost is
absorbed with using their own ECM (required) and you have an infinite number
of adjustable parameters for any future engine mods you do.

  FWIW, I picked up a '87 TPI unit with ECM, Harness, distributor, all
complete minus the MAF sensor, for $210.00, I did get a good deal though.  I
plan on either running one of the before mentioned manufacturerrs systems, or
get into the EFI_DIY list and try to learn my own EPROM burning.

  Mike