[oletrucks] Headers

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Headers
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:02:58 -0700
Sorry to hear about the problems with Hookers...I've seen other folks do
ok with them, but this on race-oriented cars...their headers are usually
designed to go fast, not last long or be quiet.

I've had ok, but not perfect, luck with Hedmans...They have a lifetime
guarantee, which I have used twice (once after 12 years!).

On a 70 truck, with the small block in the stock location, the cast
Sandersons that dump straight down probably won't work, as the factory
67-72 truck ram's horns manifolds are angled back to clear the
crossmember.

With the normal type of headers for 55-72 trucks, you may find that they
hang down a bit extra to clear the bellhousing crossmember, this can
affect ground clearance.

Good luck with your decision...I can't honestly tell you what to
do...all the possible solutions have disadvantages.  Stock manifolds
will not give the performace of well designed headers, but headers will
not give the hassle-free reliability of manifolds.

Jim