Re: [oletrucks] dot 5 BRAKE fluid

To: "Old Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] dot 5 BRAKE fluid
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:46:53 -0600
The whole reason for using DOT 5 (for me anyhow) is that it doesnt eat
paint. The best paint stripper made is DOT 3 Brake fluid and with me
spending a great part of my life trying to restore to perfectoin, it isnt in
my plans for all the new frame and associated parts to get ruined. Thanks to
everyone for the input. Seems as tho the DOT 5 will work nicely in a truck
with brand new stainless steel brake lines, new hoses, new wheel cylinders
and new master cylinder. I'm about 2-3 weeks away from testing it out so
I'll tell all how it turns out.

BTW, aquired a new toy this week. A 1949 3600. It was in a farmers shed
(outta the rain) all these years and has no rust thru. Only body problems
are a dented bed rail and a bent up right side rear fender both problems can
be repaired relatively easily. I am not happy that the farmer got tired of
the wooden bed and welded a metal floor in it, but then again, he also thew
out his SPARE TIRE CARRIER!!! ;) Good news is, it is 12 volts, starts right
up, runs great and has no mechanical problems at all. I paid 1800 for it,
but felt it was pretty in line for such a good truck to start with. Now
while I am running around gathering parts for the 50 frame up resto, I can
be doing it in a 49!

Thanks again everyone!

Deve

50 3100