[oletrucks] 235ci and 4BB Experiences

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 235ci and 4BB Experiences
From: DeLibre@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:38:05 EST
I'm ordering a Clifford water-heated intake manifold for my 235ci.  Its
getting rebuilt with a mild performance cam, new rings et. al., Clifford
Headers, Fisher harmonic dampener, dual-point distributor, etc., and I'm
gonna drop a 4-barrel on the new manifold.

Folks at Cliffords tell me that they're having to re-jet their Weber 370 cfm
carbs on 235ci engines- that 370cfm is just too much for these engines, much
less 600cfm.

Impulsive guy that I am, I had scaled back from my machinist's suggestion
that I get something around 750cfm for the engine, and bought a Edelbrock
Performer series 600cfm with electric choke (based on good words from folks
in this group and other web resources).  My machinist builds GM inlines for
Vintage Stock, so I think he's biased on the built-for-track, not
daily-driver side, and going larger than I'll need for street.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has already dropped a 4BB on their 235, what
size and make it was, and what the results were- power, mileage, dick-around
factor to get it consistently working, etc.

I drive mine every day.  I don't mind increased performance, have gotten sick
of  a leaky stock Rochester Model B w/ questionable stock filter, but drive
38 miles to work in my ole truck every day, so mileage is a consideration.