[oletrucks] Rust Removal Info

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rust Removal Info
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:04:09 -0600
I had several people asking me where to get heavy duty Dremel brushes so
here is the info. While I was there I found 6" and 12" extensions for my
hand drill as well. The Dremel brushes are NOT Dremel brand, they are
heavier duty and seem to last longer. Keep your RPM's on the Dremel tool
down tho.. thats what causes them to fly apart.

Little Big Store Tools
624 S West St
Wichita, KS 67201
(316) 946-9666

In doing a complete job of rust removal on the 50, I noticed a few things..
you can remove all the rust with Dremel, Hand Drill and Bench Grinder only
with the exception of a very few places that can be touched up with a cheap
siphon sand blaster. Be sure your Hand Drill has BEARINGS near the chuck
(mine is keyless) rather than bushings. My FIRST hand drill (on this
project) had bushings and before I got the frame under the bed completed, I
had ruined it by totally destroying the bushings.

So far, I am under the cab (started at the rear of the truck) and have
completed to the first crossmember adjacent to the battery box. I have never
seen such a dirty nasty job in my life. Rust everywhere! But darn well worth
it since its my feeling that without a good clean foundation, the
restoration project is really built on rust! After rust removal comes good
etching primer, black sandable primer, then a good semi-gloss enamel
(black). I am replacing all the nuts and bolts along the way and removing
all brake and fuel lines and wiring. I will install a fresh wiring harness
and new stainless steel lines for both brake and fuel after repainting.

Its been quite a ride tho.. in some places, I spent 2 or 3 days on a 6" x
12" area due to rivets, and close quarters. I imagine I have over 300 hours
in the rust removal alone. Takes patience and when you get impatient, stop
and do something else! In doing it this thoroughly, there are always side
projects.. like to remove the rust from the wheel cylinder area, you have to
remove the tires, brakes and all that.. so you have something else to do
like rebuild the wheel cylinders and turn the drums. The variety of things
involved gives you a nice break from the hand drill mess. But inevitably,
you WILL be making the mother of all messes.

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, KS
50 3100