[oletrucks] Motor Mounts

To: "Chevy Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Motor Mounts
From: "Richard Kinas" <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 16:34:59 -0000
Since we're on the subject of motor mounts, I thought I'd pose a question to
the list. First here's the proposed setup for my 59 Fleetside:

350 V8 motor, with front motor mounts (~200hp)
350 Tranny, supported by one of the tube type supports sold by many vendors
Original transmission member cut out

Now the question.

A fellow old trucker mentioned that given this situation, using just the
original motor mounts in the front could be disastrous. He stated that the
amount of torque produced by the engine could not be contained by the rear
tranny mount, allowing the  motor to twist and possibly driving,
distributor, valve covers, etc into the firewall.

He went on to state that he would use side engine mounts to control the
torque, and that he would also replace the original tranny cross member with
a modified automatic tranny cross member from the 1959 model year. He says
he does not like the amount of frame flex without the member. It appears
that the standard member was a single piece, while the automatic member was
three pieces, with the center piece requiring modification to provide proper
clearance for the transmission pan.

I will probably go with the modified automatic cross member but really want
to stick with the original front motor mounts. Thinking that the original
283 offered in 59 (~160 HP),  must have had the same torque problem, leads
me to believe that there will be no problem, or how could they have offered
the engine as an option.

Any thoughts?

Rich Kinas                                             ____
`59 Apache Fleetside        ________/___/ \____