RE: [oletrucks] Transmission and Clutch

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Transmission and Clutch
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:13:37 -0500
Ken,

  Can't help on the re-assembly of your transmission, but I can offer you my
personal views on clutch replacements.  I have a "strong" background in
re-replacing re-manufactured clutch discs & pressure plates that I've just
replaced, as I'm a slow learner.  (Subtle hint there...)

  Installing a re-manufactured clutch assembly is kind of like taking your
last $5.00, and hitch-hiking cross country to Las Vegas knowing that you're
SURE to hit "The BIG One!".  (Not so subtle a hint there...)

  In my experience the overwhelming majority of the time re-manufactured
units offer grief, heartache, and misery.  They have a nasty habit of
costing you both time and money that you can ill afford when you can least
afford to ill afford them.  And they make you think that something else is
wrong while they're doing it.  ((Oh my, it CAN'T be the clutch disc or
pressure plate...  I just replaced them!!!!))  (O.K. So much for
subtlety...)

   Buy "NEW", Change the flywheel bushing, check out the ring gear and have
that flywheel professionally turned while you're at it...  (Really is nice
when you only have to do it once!  Honest!)  Re-manufactured clutch
assemblies are just "BAD JU-JU!!"

  I must stress that these are only "my" humble opinions.  I am not trained
or certified by any licensed opinion training or certifying authority, and
your future experiences may vary. (But I doubt it...!) Smile!!

Yours, Kevin P.
59' Apache 38/NAPCO