[oletrucks] Mebbe Just Leave the Easy -Out In?

To: gls@4link.net, old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Mebbe Just Leave the Easy -Out In?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:04:31 EST
Grant S. posted:

    "I broke off an easy-out once inside a stuck bolt.  Talk about making a
bad situation worse!  It wasn't in a critical place, so I ended up just
leaving it in there.  I sure sweated over it though."

    Hummm, mebbe I should just pretend to pull the darn thing out, but really
just slather the area with an extra heavy coat of silicon sealer like the
last two guys did! Mebbe I can even glue a short 5/16 bolt in to fool any
nosey parkers out there. I actually found one bolt done that way by some
previous "mechanic." The bolt we're talkin' about is the 5/16 job right
forward of the fuel pump on the bottom right side of the block on this old
'59 235. This is the bigger one that holds the front oil pan seal area of the
oil pan tight to the seal. The motor is mostly assembled, and bolted to an
engine stand where it is easy to work on.
    Any opinions about this? Will the area seal without that bolt? Even if it
made an oil tight seal, could I really drive down a lonely two lane desert
road without thinking about this bodge?

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://www.aeromark.net