[oletrucks] Tranny Crossmember - 53 3100

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Tranny Crossmember - 53 3100
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:45:21 -0400
I've got a question for those who've rodded their AD's (Dave Riffel,
Lonnie, etc.).  My progress is as follows.  I have have the front IFS
installed, as well as the new rear leaf suspension and posi rear end.
I'm trying to drop an engine/tranny (small block/TH-350) in as one piece
to locate the motor mounts and tranny cross member.  The cab is still on
the frame, but all other body work has been removed.  It seems it is not
possible to drop in this combination without interference from the stock
cross member directly below the firewall.  The tranny will not fit
through without hitting either the cab on top, or the tranny fluid pan
on the cross member.  Did you guys have to remove this?  I could install
the combination separately, putting the tranny in from below with a
jack, and bolting it up to the block, but I'd like to be able to drop it
all in from the front.  I could remove the cab, but then I'm sure I'd
have to split the engine/tranny if I ever had to remove the tranny down
the road.  I'd like to leave the cab on for now to see any clearance
problems.  Eventually it will come off for the rest of the frame
cleaning and painting.

I have the new front cross member welded in for the IFS.  I'm
considering removing that offending member, dropping everything in place
and supporting the tranny with the standard bolt-up support as is used
on modern GM cars and trucks.  Will this be sufficient enough to keep
the frame from twisting?  It's currently boxed back as far as the
firewall.  I don't see a big deal with the stock member removal.  There
is still another stock cross member that is located back near where the
tranny tail shaft will be.

Any help appreciated.  I sure am exicted now that it is a rolling
chassis and I can finally push it in and out of the garage.

On another note, what did you guys use for steering column?  I was
looking through the bone yard yesterday for a GM with tilt (no column
shifter).  Guy there suggested maybe one out of a truck, Blazer or
Suburban.  Was trying to avoid spending $$$ on one of those nifty Ididit
steel or even aluminum ones...they are nice though!  I did have quite a
few to pick through at my local junk yard.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100 rod project