RE: [oletrucks] 235 Cam Gear Removal?

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 235 Cam Gear Removal?
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 07:38:37 -0600
Paul,

A hydraulic press is going to be the best way of removing/replacing the cam
gear.  Although I just removed the aluminum cam gear on my 235 (cam out of
the block) using a somewhat cruder method.  I supported the cam by the gear
in a corner of my workbench with a couple of 2x4's on either side of the
cam.  So basically the cam is hanging by the gear.  I then took a large
spark plug socket and a 3 pound hammer and pounded the cam out.  Have a
helper hold the cam so it doesn't clunk on the floor when it falls out.  I
understand the cam can actually shatter.  Although I've installed an
aluminum gear on the cam by pounding it on with a hammer and a block of
wood, I'll probably have it pressed on this time.

Is there a specific reason you don't want to remove the cam from the block?
They come out easily and would allow you to inspect the cam bearings.

Mike