[oletrucks] 235 Engine, Tranny Cross member, 5 Bolt Rear end & Hubs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 Engine, Tranny Cross member, 5 Bolt Rear end & Hubs
From: zorro@pop3.kih.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:41:34 -0400
I have cut up the old frame and body on my truck so I can haul it away
[trying to clean-up the area to avoid getting everything evicted by my wife]. I
kept select items that I thought may be needed, but wonder about some
other items before disposal.

Engine - The original 6 cyl engine - showed 7409 actual miles and is
        probably acurate due to the history of the truck. [Farm truck that sat
idle
        for 28+ years]. Anyways - decided to use the spare engine since it was
        totally rebuilt already. I will be keeping the head and the manifolds
etc..
        Question: Is there anything else internally I should be keeping or that
        anyone would want?

Tranny Cross Member - Off the spare truck - This truck was a V8 deluxe,
        and the cross member is made different than my original. I see some
        discussion about listers that need a new cross member, would this be
        an item worth keeping? It would require grinding the rivets off the
frame,
        [quite a task if it's useless].

5 Bolt Rear end & Hubs - Off the spare truck - I doubt these are original,
        yet I have no idea what they came off of. This truck had been "rodded"
        back in the 70's, and fitted with axles and front hubs that have a
five-bolt
        pattern. I took the axles out of the rear-end [along with the ring and
pinion
        gears since I'm also hoping the ratio will be higher than my original],
and
        I am not scrapping the front axle assembly. The question is: How do I
tell
        what these came off of originally? Do I really need to keep the whole
front
        axle, or would it be better to strip it? If I take it apart, should I
take out
        the king pins and keep it from that point?

        If I had room I'd just keep it all. I hate seeing items go to waste
that
        may be useful. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

        Bert <58 Apache - hoping to be on the road this century>