[oletrucks] pto interchange

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] pto interchange
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 00:23:57 -0700
Hi everybody,

I'm considering a pto from a '59 GMC one ton truck to install on my '58
Chevy half ton; both are 4 speed trannys.  Would the same pto fit both
trucks?  I would think that both trannys would be the same but I know
all too little about GMC's.

If they aren't the same trannys, how could we tell if the pto would fit
mine?  A junk yard in Salem, Oregon has two, and they said to count the
teeth.  It looks like if I remove that plate all my lube will drain out,
so I don't want to do that right now.  Then I'd have to make a new
gasket, I suppose....  OK, so it's not that much work:  I have to change
the clutch on my wife's Civic 4WD, hopefully without pulling the engine
which is what the shop manual says to do!

Thanks,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Fleetside  (must utilize more power!)