RE: [oletrucks] Thumping sound

To: tcape <tcape@weblnk.net>, Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Thumping sound
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:18:17 -0600
Tom,
Does it seem to be per wheel revolution, or driveline revolution?  Does
it change frequency after shifting gears? It could possibly be a wheel
bearing.  I have a clunking sound in my 56 which is due to a wheel
bearing problem, although it is there below 10 mph also, and especially
when turning.  I've re-torqued the nut to spec (I think around 30-35
ft-lbs) several times, but the noise reappears.  I reckon I'll have to
get new wheel bearings. Jack the wheel off the ground, spin it and
torque the nut at the same time, then move to the nearest opening for
the cotter pin.  I'm not familiar with the huck brakes, but could it be
something related to that?  Good luck.
Mike