Re: [oletrucks] Blasting off old paint and grime

To: The Hansons <dustyrose@mcn.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Blasting off old paint and grime
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:22:29 -0500
The Hansons wrote:

>         Its been awhile since I have posted anything but now it is
> time to catch
> up. I need to strip the paint from my pickup and started the hold with
> multi-sander and that is not getting the job done very easy or
> quickly. I
> have heard that sandblasting can generate heat and warp the metal. I
> have
> also read in magazines that media blasting is the way to go using
> walnut
> shells. But today, I spoke with a fella at work who restored a Mustang
> and
> he had suggested I have my truck soda blasted. Has anybody ever heard
> of or
> had this done? If so what are the "likes" and "dislikes"? I need to
> have
> the inside of the cab stripped as well, is this something that could
> also
> be blasted and if so how difficult are the cleanup procedures inorder
> spray the primer?
>         The truck is in pieces and should not be hard to blast. This
> guy
> supposedly did my friends Mustang inside and out for only 300. This is
>
> certainly a price range that I can afford and would save me allot of
> time
> and trouble.
>         Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all,
> Christian
> '59 GMC 150
> Napco
> 1959

Christian
Funny you should ask. Both Bennett Ratliff (fellow listee) and myself
soda blasted our trucks over this past weekend, and all things
considered, it was relatively painless.
We rented a blaster from a local company, and had to pay $200 for the
blaster and $25.50 per 50 lb bag of soda. Each AD truck took about 5
bags to complete, so we ended up paying about $225 each to do the job.
After we finished, both the painter and the equipment rental guys told
us to take everything to the car wash and wash off the residue. This
didn't make much since at first, but we did it anyway and once dried we
sprayed them with an epoxy primer/etch.
In a nutshell, soda works great on paint and light rust, is very
forgiving, but is extremely messy (although it all washes away with the
first rain). The good thing about soda is that it will not heat or warp
metal, and will not hurt moving parts if it finds its way into unwanted
areas. The bad side is that it will not remove any type of rust other
than surface rust, and it's VERY dusty.
Hope this helps
Brad