Re: [oletrucks] History of Chevy 4-wheel drive wanted...

To: <GremlinGT@aol.com>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] History of Chevy 4-wheel drive wanted...
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:46:47 -0700
The date that Napco started to produce conversion units is a little foggy.
I have heard stories of trucks being converted as early as late 1949, but
the earliest documentable truck that I have ever heard of is a 1951 Chevy
3/4-ton owned by Butch Gehrig of Odell, OR.  Up until late 1954, all the
conversions were done on 3/4-ton and larger trucks due to the enclosed
drive shaft on the 1/2 ton models.  GMC started to produce trucks from the
factory (using Napco components) starting in 1956.  Chevy followed in 1957.
 The two were identical systems other than the availability of a V-8 and an
automatic transmission on the GMC trucks.  The Chevy could only be ordered
with the 235ci-six and a four-speed manual (although there was nothing
stopping an owner from ordering whatever he or she wanted in a 2-wheel
drive truck and then having a Napco Powr-Pak "upfitted" by the dealer).
Both Chevy and GMC went to a totally new chassis in 1960 and Napco was left
out of the new design due to the independent front suspension on the
two-wheel drive trucks and a 4-wheel drive specific chassis on the 4-wheel
drive trucks.  Napco did hang around for a few more years, but there main
business shifted to the heavier trucks, 1-1/2 ton and larger.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco