Re: [oletrucks] Clutch Chatter

To: "Tony D'Angelo" <tonyd3@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Clutch Chatter
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 05:02:42 -0700
The clutch disk has a set of springs to absorb tourque pulses from the
engine. These springs stand proud of the disk on one side but not the
other. The side that stands proud must go into the recess in the pressure
plate, NOT toward the flywheel where they will hit the flywheel bolts.
Another cause of such a noise is the pilot bearing.

Tom Allen
51 3800

At 10:25 AM 5/17/99 -0700, Tony D'Angelo wrote:
>Its been a long time since I've done anything to my truck (other than run
>errands).  Anyway, I have clutch chatter when the pedal is completely
>engaged (pushed to the floor).  It silences as soon as I begin to release
>it.  About a year ago, I replaced the throughout bearing and the pivet ball.
>There was no change.  I seem to remember from a prior post that the clutch
>disk has a shorter neck on one side. If installed backward, could this be
>the cause?  What are other potential causes?  The prior owner installed the
>clutch and it has about 4,000 miles on it.  Driveline is original torque
>tube.  Engine is a 1957 235.
>
>As a related question, the transmission cross member is separating on the
>left hand side, i.e. the spot welds on top left front have torn.  What are
>probable causes for this?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tony D.
>51 1/2 ton