Re: [oletrucks] Off Subject: Trailer Brakes

To: <TENACT@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off Subject: Trailer Brakes
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:27:36 -0700
I don't know how much you need to know, but I can give you a quick
description of what I have on my trailer.

Mine are very similar to a standard drum brake, except instead of a
hydraulic cylinder, they have a 12V DC solenoid mounted in a little
different configuration.  The body of the solenoid is grounded and an
electric (electronic) brake controller regulates voltage to the trailer
brakes (from about 3 or 4 VDC to 11 or 12 VDC).  Most of the controllers
have an adjusting screw or lever that you can adjust the output to your
particular trailer (most trailers I have played with don't need 12 VDC to
lock the brakes up).  The controller is wired into your brakes under the
dash and when you depress the brake pedal, the brake controller should
gradually ramp the voltage up so you don't lock the trailer brakes (if you
do lock a trailer up things can get real exciting in a real big hurry).

Also, check the mechanical condition of the drums, the shoes, and the
bearings (many trailers use smaller bearings than they should).  Make sure
you repack the bearings on a regular basis.  Check the brake shoes for
excessive wear. My trailer (along with many of the less expensive car and
utility trailers) uses old mobile home axles.  These have notoriously thin
brake linings, check them regularly and if you have a good trailer supply
place, you might be able to upgrade the shoes to a more standard type.
Check the solenoids.  Make sure the piston/op-pin is in good shape and free
from any pitting or rust that might effect how it moves inside the coil (if
it looks bad, replace it).  Last but probably the most important, make sure
your wiring and grounds are good.  If you loose the ground to the trailer,
nothing on the trailer will work, including the brakes.  In my experience,
the grounds are the most troublesome part of trailer wiring, make sure they
are good.  Good luck and happy trailering. 8^)

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco