[oletrucks] Success with the gas gauge

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Success with the gas gauge
From: MASK4335@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:01:15 EST
Fellow truckers,
   Well, I finally conquered my "since I've owned it" non functioning gas
gauge.  I had two problems, both to do with grounds.  First, the tank sending
unit ground was bad.  I used a meter ad found very high resistance.  Fixed by
running a separate ground wire from the sender case screw to the frame.
Second, the gauge itself was not grounded to the gauge case.  I had called
United Speedo Service and the gentleman on the other end was extremely helpful
and told me this is a common problem.  Fixed it by sanding the inner surface
of the case and the rear ground contact of the gauge.  When I assembled it, I
made sure the two mounting nuts were good and tight.
   I then faced the 12 volt conversion problem.  I used a 50 ohm 10 watt wire
wound resistor from Radio Shack ($.99 for two) and now I can tell what's in
the tank.  No more guessing or trying to remember mileage.
   I used an old article from Classic Auto Restorer as a reference when
checking and fixing mine.  I have forwarded the article to Ron for posting on
the Chevy Trucks.Org site.  If anyone wants it sooner, just let me know, I'll
e-mail it to you directly.
Happy about the fix.
Mike Klepp
'48 3100