[oletrucks] '49 suspension / shocks

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '49 suspension / shocks
From: TomGreer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:04:04 EST
I just completed the torque tube bearing and seal / u-joint rebuild on my '49
3100, and now that I can drive over 30mph (wee!) I found the next thing on the
"to do list" is replace the shocks.  I'd like to go with conventional dual
action shocks rather than the standard "knee-action" (single action) shocks
that are on there now.

So, it looks like I'll need the shock brackets;  does anyone out there have
brackets (front and rear) (and good shocks?) they want to sell / trade.  Any
ADvice about mounting location and technique is greatfully accepted.  I'd
rather not spend the $250 from the catalogs for the complete kit...

Is there anything else I can do to increase the ride (aside from putting in a
completely different front end)?

Just think, when I get the ride smoothed out, I'll find out I can only top-out
at 50mph and I'll want to change the gearing, and once the gearing is done,
I'll want to drop in a 235...   and on it goes.  But hey, it sure is fun!

Thanks in advance for all your ADvice and wisdom,

Tom
'49 3100 delux

ps - how I know if the leaf springs are shot / need to be replaced?