[oletrucks] Generator/battery question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Generator/battery question
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:16:19 -0800
This one should be easy for someone who knows about such things.  I don't.
My ammeter stays right in the middle all the time, unless I turn on the
headlights, then it drops to the - side, and stays there until I turn off
the lights.  Then it jumps back to the middle.  I just made a trip around
the neighborhood, and the truck ran fine.  Had the lights on, they stayed
bright, engine temp got up to about 180 and stayed.  Everything was fine.

But after I turned the motor off, then tried to re-start, the battery was
dead.  Would not turn the engine over.  Hooked up the cables to my other
truck, and it started right up.  Checked the battery, and is showed just
below 13 volts.  Checked the generator, and at idle put out 13 volts.  As I
increased the rpms, the generator increased the voltage accordingly.  But
when I check the ammeter with the engine reved up, there is no change.  It
just stays in the middle, unless I turn on the lights, then it drops to
the - side.  I believe that as I rev the engine, the ammeter should move to
the + side.  Correct?  Is it possible that although the generator is putting
out voltage, it is not charging the battery, and how can I check this?

Thanks-

Smokey
'50 3600 5-window