Re: [oletrucks] batteries and charging

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] batteries and charging
From: Wayne Osborne <wcosborne@inetnow.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 00:46:33 -0500
Tim,
The amount of charge time varies with the amperage of the charger and
the amount of discharge from the battery. Most chargers now a days
have sensors that shut down or at least cuts the charge to a trickle
charge when the batter gets
fully charged. Most older ones have a guage that measure the amount
of current the battery is taking. When the needle settle out with a
reading of 2 or so on the charger meter, it will be charged up. But
to accurately measure it you would use a voltmeter. A 5-6 hour
charge will recharge a 50% discharged battery on a 6 amp charger.
I have a cutoff switch on my battery so when it doesn't get driven for
a couple of weeks, I switch it off so there's no battery drain.

Wayne

10:29 PM 3/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>In followup to my search for the battery in my '54 Chevy 3100 (yes, I
>found it, silly me), I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in
>charging said batteries.  It's a 12 volt system, recently converted, but I
>fear that driving short distances is not sufficient to give the battery
>enough charge to run the starter the two or three times it takes to start
>it up.  Any suggestions on either how long it takes for an average Diehard
>to charge or what to look at to get my truck running so it starts on the
>first try?
>Thanks.
>
>Tim Lloyd, omaha@tmbg.org
>"When I grow up...I want to work my way up to middle management...  I
>want to be underappreciated...  I want to have a brown nose...  Yes, boss,
>anything for a raise, boss..." -some ad
>"...failure to terraform Mars constitutes failure to live up to our human
>nature and a betrayal of our responsibility as members of the community of
>life itself." -Robert Zubrin

---------
                 http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne
For a quick view of oletrucks mailing list members trucks go to:
         http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/member.html