newsletters

Re: LRP

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>, <davidw@fernup.dorset.sch.uk>,
Subject: Re: LRP
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:55:00 -0000

>In a message dated 12/29/99 4:30:53 PM Pacific Standard
Time,
>jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:
>
><< One way and another, it all seems to be a
> bit of a dog's breakfast. >>

Terry Saunders and Bob Hamilton replied to the effect that
the change to unleaded fuel was no big deal, citing North
American experience of long term use. I agree with them
entirely and the whole issue has been blown out of all
proportion in the UK. The main culprits (as usual) are the
press, radio and TV. Many of the reports and 'informed
comment' I've seen can be summarised in one four letter
word - basically written by the uninformed for the benefit
of the terminally terrified. Then the politicians of all
parties jumped on board, giving their 'perspectives' and
setting up counter productive investigative steering
committees. I have personal knowledge of people buying 'fuel
catalysts" to fit in fuel lines or push in tanks that
allegedly upgrade fuel from unleaded to leaded. Then there
are others who suffered at the hands of the unscrupulous by
having cylinder heads 'converted' when there was no need
because their cars were already fitted with hardened seats.
Finally, quite a few pensioners have already junked
perfectly good daily drivers  because they had been
convinced by the media that they wouldn't be able to use
them after Jan 1.
That's why I classified it as a dog's breakfast because
no-one grasped the nettle of mass panic at an early stage
and attempted to correct the mis-information that was being
circulated. With what can be best summarised as typical
British insularity, the vast majority thought the UK was one
of the first to abandon leaded fuel when, in reality, it's
one of the last.

Jonmac