newsletters

Re: Newsletter Archives

To: DandDTietz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Newsletter Archives
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:00:54 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 DandDTietz@aol.com wrote:

> Bob Lang was right on the money... Listen to the old pro (sounds like he's
> definitely been there done that). Text files, text files, text files...

I have been there and done that. I've been doing our club newsletter
since early 93, and I've been the principle editor and publisher since
'95. Every time I look at the pile of newsltters that I've printed, I'm
kind of amazed...

Early on, I was ready to quit every month due to the way we recieved
material and the amount of work that I had to do to get the 'letter out
each month. Now, I'm ready to quit every month but the whole thing lasts
a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks!

But don't be discouraged. The more work that your members do (submitting
articles) and the better "trained" they are, the easier it is to do the
'letter each month.

Ironically, the last newsletter editor for my club still hands me
Pagemaker documents when he has a submission! He's using PM 6.0, I'm
using 4.2, so I can't use his PM files. The first few times that he did
this, I spent hours duplicating his page layout... now I just throw the
copy that he gives me into the final pile for printing. Saves me a lot of
time, but I have to make sure that he has his stuff correct. And he has
to make any changes... less work for me. That's a good thing.

> Dave Tietz - Florida Suncoast MG Car Club

L8r,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |