PCV Valve Substitute

To: <morris@autox.team.net>
Subject: PCV Valve Substitute
From: "William Langdell" <w.langdell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:39:34 -0700
Dear listers:  I am trying to ventilate my crankcase and valve cover in an
intelligent and responsible way but am missing some pieces since my engine is
made of parts from different sources.  At the (excellent) Palo Alto meet today
I saw various configuarations of valves and hoses among the Minors, Sprites,
Midgets and Minis with various sizes and years of "A" series engines. The most
common setup seems to be the crankcase and valve cover go to one side of a
Smiths "mushroom" valve which vents to either the carburettor or intake
manifold.  One Sprite had a more conventional style PVC valve (labeled "type
CV20E or 205 last character and brand name obscured") in place of the Smiths
mushroom.  Other engines vented directly to the atmosphere, or through a
filter or routed to the air cleaner.  Some cars had the valve cover vent
either missing or purposely blanked off.  My car presently has valve cover and
crankcase vented to the air cleaner with no PVC valve at all, but am not
confident this is entirely correct.  I briefly had them hooked up to the
intake manifold, but this made the engine run rough and fouled the spark plugs
with oil.

Could anyone suggest a safe and sensible way to hook up these vents, hopefully
using readily available materials?  Thanks for your help.   ---Bill Langdell
'57 Minor Convertable