Re: Morris historians..firewall tag???

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
Subject: Re: Morris historians..firewall tag???
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:03:25 -0800
>I know where it is on my pickup, but can't find the location of the
>firewall stamp on this car. Where is it located?
>
>Gerard

Gerard,

Rick Feibusch here,

Happy Christmas etc.

I have never been able to find the stamped numbers on any Minor made after
1964 - I have been told that they are on the right side front interior
floor but never found one - we used to have to send post-1967 cars over
here to the US with paperwork from unrebuildable pre-1967 cars in order to
keep them from being crushed or sent back - there also is a slop factor
involving cars made late in the year as to what year they are logged in
when sold new.

I have owned a few of the cars that were never commercially imported here
between 1962 and 1966.  All were sent to Canada and made their way to SF.
The 63 was owned by my friend John Voelcker and my job was to have it
painted and sell it - it had the very rare two tone seats and was identical
to a 61 except that it had an 1100 and a rare smoothcase with helical cut
gears(one year production). My 64 Convertible was like a 61 with 67 lights,
1100/ribcase and it still had a firewall number on it - my 65 was identical
to a 67 in all ways including the lack of firewall (bulkhead) number stamp
- All of these cars were fairly original (two still wore factory paint) so
I think that they were not changed after the fact. I've owned well over 50
minors since 1970!  Am I crazy??  - You bet!

Many 1962 Minors sold in the US were 1961s that were renumbered at the
duistributor's warehouse by adding a small plastic tag with a "61" on it -
it was screwed to the right side of the id plate using the plate attatching
screw.  The American compacts had been out since late 1959 and were eating
up the small car market and all but VW were unable to sell cars here as
they were in the late 1950s.

This doesn't answer your question and can confuse you a bit more. My guess
is that the car is a 1965 model built in 1964 and somebody changed the
rack.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice Beach, CA