Re: Minor "coupes"

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minor "coupes"
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:26:27 -0800
Listers,
I know where there is an unfinished coupe in San Jose, CA that was
partially built in the 1980s. It was built by Ray Wakefield out of a very
clean 1967 Sedan. Ray shortened the top by about 14 inches and lengthened
the bootlid, using two stock lids, while removing the license plate inset.
The whole back of the top was cut into a bunch of pieces and fitted
together to make the correct compound curves. He redid the back portion of
the top because the back window was slightly crooked after it was all
welded together, SO, he installed a small back window piece out of a rusty
Series II that made it look even older. The rest of the car was to remain
stock, right down to the wheels so it would look like a factory coupe.

The job was taking forever and the engine that had been prepared for the
coupe needed to be used in Ray's customized MM tourer when it wore out and
Ray was also busy putting a stock 1949 Studebaker pickup body on an IROC
Camero powered, shortened Chevy pickup chassis so he sold the car to a
neighbor who has done nothing to it or has been willing to sell it since.
the top is perfectly welded together but needs to be finished and painted.

Morris Lister, Paul Kelly of Austrailia has chopped a bunch of Minor tops
over the years and does a fantastic job - My favourite was a white Series
II 4-door with am MM front clip and spun aluminium Moon disc wheel covers.
It always has been the l;ate 1950s in Paul's heart!

Some of Paul's amazing work can still be viewed in his paperback book, The
Morris Minor Enthusiast - I still have a few left @ $10 postpaid anywhere
in the US - email me for details if you are interested.
Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
Venice Beach, CA