morris exhaust

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: morris exhaust
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:36:50 -0400
An update on my morris tinkering:
I installed a new crank pulley nut that permits crank starting.
I did.  It worked.  It's a pity that cars no longer have that feature.

Remembering what I did to get it running a few years back makes me wonder
how it ever ran at all.  In my ignorance, I rummaged through the boxes of
bits and put together a frankenstein of an HS2 (mostly) SU carb.  That's
among my next rectifications.  I see now that the throttle shaft wiggles
and that is why I cannot get a low idle.  One reason, anyway.  Geez, you
should see the thing.  Yet it ran quite well, although on the rich side.
I've got a proper reference book now, and I hope I can find those bits
again.  At least the jet tube is correct.

I keep poring through my books looking in vain for a description of the
exhaust system.
The DPO had put on a sweet exhaust system of maybe 1 3/4 inch diameter pipe
that fouled the left front tyre during left turns.  I'm returning it to
stock, despite the skinnier pipe.  I bought (years ago) the necessary bits
and can find no references of how they go.
I think: Manifold to a down pipe.  Down pipe goes into the silencer (?)
Silencer to a long straight pipe (sawn for shipping, as I recall).  That
straight pipe I need to get rewelded to an artistically bent pipe of the
same diameter.  The big bend of that part goes over the rear axle.  Right?
I need info where the hanger(s) go, too.  Are the pipes supposed to slip
into the silencer, or is it a weld-only affair?

Also: my steering wheel is decidedly off by one "hour".  The car seems
otherwise well aligned, although I may be kidding myself.  How does one
pull the wheel?

Thanks for your help so far.